Tips to protect your leather products
Leather bags such as handbags, briefcases, laptop bags and others are carried around and are subject to stains and dust. It is, therefore, essential to take care of leather bags and accessories by cleaning them, and ideally to do so at least every three months.
- Prior to hydrating or cleaning your leather bags, remove any dust to prevent it from getting into the material.
- When cleaning leather bags, don’t forget to clean the handles and any accessories they have, such as buckles, chains, etc.
- When applying a cleaning solution on your leather bags, test it first on a non-noticeable part of the leather to see if a reaction occurs or if there is a change in color.
- If your leather items are stained, first try to remove the stain with a clean sponge or a cotton pad soaked in soapy water. Afterward, gently wipe the stain with a soft cloth in the leather grain’s direction to remove the dirt.
- To prevent watermarks around stained areas, always clean your bag entirely, insisting on stains, and let it air dry.
Extra Precaution during monsoon
Due to moisture during rainy or winter season, there is high chances that fungus may develop on surface of leather products. So it is necessary to clean the product regularly in every 10-15 days.
Regular cleaning can be avoided if we use Silica Gel which absorb moisture from the surface of leather products. We need to make sure Silica Gel is of superior quality and here how we can test it. Please make sure Silica Gel packet is kept away from children.
Other silica gel may not form jelly layer while performing the above test as quick as this, but still they are able to absorb moisture from surrounding due to its chemical properties.
*** A good care of your leather items will allow you to use them for many years ***